About Me

My photo
Married to Tony mother to 2 children Lucas 23, Gemma 26 & her boyfriend Sean. Carer for 2 crazy Jack Russells. I'm dyslexic so excuse any mistakes. The Stitching Room is where I spend my time playing with Clarice (my camera) and Bernie (my sewing machine). Come on in and see what I'm up to.

Wednesday 4 February 2009

A few things

I have finished stitching this block from the recent Homespun. It is a shop sample for Hettie's Patch. Lorraine is waiting for the fabric used in the original quilt to arrive so I used fabrics from the shop. If you don't want to make the whole quilt this block would be great as a cushion cover or my choice would be............... framed as a gift for a friend. If it wasn't a stitching friend you could just change the wording it is such a lovely block.


I have also bought a couple of panels not sure what I will do with them but I love them. I'm a bit of a sucker for Peter Rabbit.


I also love these Flower Fairies, isn't she sweet.


One thing I have had for ages but find I use more and more is this, it doesn't have a name. As my old eyes are failing me I decided to make a pin cushion for my sewing machine needles. You know when you change the needle and you don't want to put a used one back in the packet. This way I don't have to ask a child to read the incredible small number on the needle. Once upon a time my eyes could focus close enough to read the numbers myself now I would need 10 foot long arms to be able to read it. I was rather pleased with myself when I thought of this.


29 comments:

Gari in AL said...

I didn't know there was a number on the needles. I will have to put my glasses on and look. And then I am going to mark up a pin cushion, too. Great idea.

Lorraine said...

What a fantastic idea that needle keeper is....I change needles quite a bit and this is just the best idea....!! So simple.....I didn't even realise there were numbers on the needles...shows how good my eyes are.....the block looks great too...I haven't started as I am waiting on the fabric to come in...I like the colours you have used as well.....you have been very productive ......I hope we get some summer weather soon.....LOL!!

Unknown said...

Oh I just love your block, it's gorgeous. Now I'm wishing I had a subscription to it. Great idea on the pincushion, and yes those numbers are very tiny indeed. Love the extra pieces of fabrics you purchased, too cute.

Cicero Sings said...

Love the "pin cushion" idea!

I like both your Peter Rabbit and Fairy panels.

Your stitched block is lovely! I need to get sewing again. I bought a purse pattern while down at the coast this time ... I think it has a very good design and am lucking forward to giving it a shot!

Sarah said...

Gosh you did well with your block!!!

That is such a good idea - the oin cushion....

dutchcomfort said...

Love your block Leanne!

When I received Homespun I was thrilled to see the BOM! I’m planning to start one in different colours.

Your needle-cushion is a great idea!

Teodo said...

Great ideayour pincushion ..........
the block is wonderful, it's so elegant and delicate.
This evening I will show your post to ISABELLA (my DH) because Peter Rabbit is her love.
ciao ciao

Stina Blomgren said...

This is such a wonderful block...and I love your version... and I have to say...hope I can copy your idea with the pincushion for machine needles...it was great!! :o)

Annie said...

Love the stitching, and the pincushion is a terrific idea. You really are a thinker!!!

Christine said...

Your block is lovely. The needle cushion is a terrific idea. I didn't even know machine needles had numbers on them.
Christine

Sorrow said...

That
IS BRILLIANT!
I am going to make myself one of those TODAY!
was just fishing through my bowl of them with magnifying glass in hand..
Grumbling the whole time" must be an easier way"

Unknown said...

Me too have short arms...I made a pin cushion with numbers on, just like yours....very useful!
Love that block you have made!

annemariesquilt said...

Åååå what a beautiful stitching block you have made, I love the Peter the rabbit fabrics ..
You have made a very "clever" pincusion, realy great.

Anonymous said...

The stitching block is just lovely!
And what a good idea to make a pincushion with the needle's number.

Locket Pocket said...

Your pin cushion is such a fantastic idea! My only problem is that I always struggle to find my pincushions under all the piles of "stuff" on my sewing table! I usually locate them when I end up pricking my fingers looking for something else!!!

Love the quilt block too!

Lucy xx

em's scrapbag said...

Sweet block. I also love Peter rabbit.

Mrs Moog said...

Your stitched block is beautiful - I love the wording :-)

Your pincushion idea is genius!

xxx

Jenny said...

Lovely job on the stitching and yes that pincushion idea is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea the sewing machine needle pin cushion - your block has come up gorgeous. I fell in love with the fairies when I saw them in the Keepsake Quilting catalogue. Have a great day. Jx

Unknown said...

This is a great idea!

corry said...

You're so clever, great pincushion idea!

Oman said...

my mom loves stitching and i will surely show this post when i visit her over the weekend.

let me share my white water rafting adventure to you here

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty stitchery. :)

May Kristin said...

That block is so lovely! You did a beautiful work.
And I love that pincushion! What a great idea!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Leanne: That is a fun thing that you do. neat panels.

Sew Fab Martha said...

Oh my goodness! I love that pincushion idea! Brilliant!

Teodo said...

Leanne I'm near you and near all Australian people in this bad moment.
ciao ciao

Penny said...

Love the pin cushion idea - are you going to write it up as a pattern?

Grazia said...

What a lovely block!!!!
And you pincushion is a great idea...
Grazia